Lemongrass, also known as Citronella, is a herb that is tall and stocky. Lemongrass is extensively used in Asian cuisine. It originates from the Southern region of India as well as Sri Lanka but now is widely grown all over the world. One of the best ways to enjoy this herb is to make Lemongrass tea which is highly nutritional and has many medicinal benefits.
Lemongrass can be store-bought, can be purchased online and also be home-grown. The tea can be made easily and quickly and is effective on many levels. In this article, you will find How to make Lemongrass Tea in a different way.
Lemongrass tea is an excellent way to detox and lose weight. It is considered as one of the healthiest brews of tea to consider if you are planning to make the switch from coffee to tea. There is no fixed time to consume this aromatic blend. Lemongrass tea is good for your health and is considered even healthier if jaggery is used instead of sugar.
Now, let’s see how you can make different teas out of this herb.
How to Make Lemongrass Tea?
Lemongrass tea is a delightful beverage that has multiple health benefits. Apart from adding lemongrass to teas, it is also added as a herb for stir fry dishes as well as in soups. This tea has a citrus-like flavour and can be cut or pounded. It can be stored in the freezer which leads to lemongrass having a longer shelf life. Let’s take a look at how to make fresh Lemongrass tea.
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of coarsely chopped lemongrass stalks
- Lime for additional garnish (optional)
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil over high heat using a pot or a saucepan.
- Once the water comes to a boil, add the chopped lemongrass and stir for approximately 5 minutes.
- Decrease the heat, add the tea leaves or tea bags and let it simmer for another 5/7 minutes.
- Once this is done, you can strain the stalks and add the sugar and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Now, serve this tea as a hot beverage or cold over ice cubes.
Making Lemongrass Tea from Fresh Lemongrass
Lemongrass tea, the name itself has a lemony zing to it. It has a fresh and lemony taste that leaves you wanting more. The flavour of this tea uplifts your mood, is an anxiety buster as well as has a lovely fragrance that refreshes your mind, body and soul. Making Lemongrass tea with fresh lemongrass hits a different high. It is fairly simple to make this blend with fresh lemongrass.
- 2 cups of water
- Tea Powder
- Sweetener (preferably honey)
- 1 cup of freshly cut lemongrass stalks
- Lime for additional garnish (optional)
- Heat 2 cups of water and add the freshly cut lemongrass stalks to it.
- Let the stalks simmer in the water for approximately 10 minutes and add tea powder and boil until you get a pale green liquid.
- Strain your tea and consume with a dash of lime juice or honey.
Making lemongrass tea with fresh lemongrass is flavourful and packed with multiple health benefits and medicinal qualities.
Making Lemongrass Tea from Dried Lemongrass
Lemongrass tea is extremely easy to prepare in case you are wondering about the level of complexity involved. You will be surprised to know how simple and delicious this tea is once brewed in the right manner. Making it with dried lemongrass tastes equally amazing. This tea helps you feel extremely rejuvenated and relaxed. The process for brewing a cup of lemongrass tea from dried lemongrass is similar to the one used for making tea with freshly chopped lemongrass.
- 2 cups of water
- Tea (leaves or powder)
- Sweetener (optional)
- 3-4 dried lemongrass stalks
- Add 3-4 dried lemongrass stalks and tea bags or tea leaves to 2 cups of water.
- Bring it to a boil over high flame.
- Let this mixture then simmer for about 7-10 minutes.
- Then, strain and serve.
Using sugar or sweetener is optional. If you are watching your weight then honey or stevia is another healthy option you can consider. It can be prepared with or without milk as well.
How to Make Iced Lemongrass Tea
The iced Lemongrass tea does not take much time to prepare and it is the best possible summer drink. It is refreshing till the very last sip. So follow these steps to make yourself the Iced Lemongrass tea.
- 2 thinly cut lemongrass strips
- 2 tea bags
- 1 sliced lemon
- 2 inch ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Take a jar and pour hot, boiling water into it. Then, add the 2 tea bags and let them sit till the water cools down.
- Now, pour water in a saucepan and heat on a medium heat. Add lemongrass and ginger to it. Keep boiling till it is reduced to just half a cup.
- Add sugar and stir till it dissolves in the water. Let it cool down and add it to the jar of tea.
- Take out the tea bags and add half cup of lemongrass and ginger mix. Stir it gently.
- Then pour the tea into a cup. Drop in the lemon slices and some ice cubes, and serve.
Benefits of Lemongrass Tea
Lemongrass with its many benefits is good for hair, youthful and radiant skin along its calming properties. This brew helps to cure insomnia as well as stress and anxiety. It is an excellent method for detoxification and cleansing. Lemongrass tea is a delicious beverage that has antioxidant properties along with anti-inflammatory characteristics. A cup of lemongrass tea is the perfect remedy for an upset stomach or stomach cramping. You can even drink this brew after a heavy meal as it is said to help aid digestion.
Research has proved that Lemongrass tea can boost oral health, relieve pain, boosts red blood cells and cure bloating. It has also been known to prevent infection, lower cholesterol and relieve anxiety. But one should not drink this tea if they have a low heart rate, are pregnant or have low potassium levels.
Lemongrass Tea is a delicious beverage that can be enjoyed hot or cold and is packed with multiple health benefits. It is a safe and nutritious brew and is easy to grow. Thus it is wise to try out this tea and experience the benefits yourself. If you decide to do so, follow these recipes to have the best experience.