One of the important activities of the day in the life of a tea lover is the intake of tea which rejuvenates their mind and soul and makes them feel refreshed. Some are so dependent on their intake that just one cup a day is not enough and require it throughout the day. So for something whose intake is continued one wants it to be a healthy one as well apart from its refreshing attributes. For such people who want health and tea love to go hand in hand, Reishi Mushroom tea is the perfect choice as it is known for its pharmaceutical benefits.
What Is Reishi Tea?
Reishi whose scientific name is Ganoderma lucidum is a mushroom and also a fungus known for its healthy attributes. Popular in China, Japan, and other Asian countries. The appearance of the Reishi mushroom is like a large, dark mushroom along with a glossy outer surface and woody texture.
The meaning of the Latin word Lucidum is “shinny “ Or “brilliant “, which is attributed to the surface of a mushroom. G. Lucidum in China is known as Lingzhi and in Japan as Reishi or man intake. G. Lucidum apart from other mushrooms is better known for its pharmaceutical pros rather than its nutritional value.
Owing to the health benefits it is used in a variety of forms such as powders, dietary supplements, and teas known as reishi teas. All these products are produced from different parts of reishi mushroom such as mycelia, spores, fruit body, etc.
The ancient claimed health benefits of reishi are now being studied and are finding scientific support for it. Reishi Tea is becoming a popular culture among people these days where everyone wants to stay fit.
Perks Of Reishi Mushroom Tea
Let us now unravel the secret behind the popularity of reishi tea which is its health benefits.
1. It Boosts The Immune System:
In ancient times, reishi mushrooms have been used as an enhancer to the immune system. The beta-glucans present in the reishi tea is believed to stimulate the immune system to prevent infections.
2. Reishi Tea Can Palliate Fatigue:
The Reishi mushrooms are adaptogens that help the body combat stress. So, Reishi tea can provide relief to aches, pains and feelings of irritability.
3. May Be A Cure Against Cancer:
Due to the presence of glucans in the mushrooms, reishi tea may prevent the growth of new blood vessels, which is the key factor as the cancer cells need a steady blood supply to grow. And also triterpenes present in it may inhibit the development and metastasis of tumours.
4. Rich in Antioxidants:
Being rich in antioxidants, the reishi tea can reduce the risk of diseases and premature aging.
5. Lowers High blood pressure:
The reishi mushroom tea contains compounds that may help to lower night blood pressure.
6. Having Allergy-Fighting Potential:
The reishi tea may have some antihistamine effect and can improve the body’s oxygen supply, which is the key for people suffering from chronic or allergic asthma.
7. Lowers cholesterol:
Reishi tea contains triterpenes and beta-glucans which may reduce your total cholesterol and LDL- which are commonly referred to as “bad cholesterol “.
8. May Help To Regenerate The Liver:
Want your liver to work effectively? Then start taking Reishi tea to your diet. As Reishi tea contains triterpenes that carry anti-cancer properties in other studies have shown to help the release of free radicals and can promote regeneration of liver cells.
9. Heart diseases:
Some early research has shown that it can reduce chest pain and shortness of breath in people with heart diseases.
10. Fight against Fatigue and Depression:
Preliminary studies have shown that it can reduce fatigue and depression and can improve your quality of life.
These are some benefits of reishi tea which makes it necessary to be included in one’s diet.
Possible Side Effects Of Reishi Tea
The possible side effects may be an upset stomach, dry mouth and itchy throat but these are minor effects.
Though there are several groups of people who should consume it but with the prior permission of their doctor, such as:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Those with blood disorders.
- The ones with low blood pressure.
Taste Of Reishi
Reishi’s taste is extremely bitter, even after they have been cooked, they will taste quite bitter.
Unlike other mushrooms that are immediately edible and taste great once cooked, reishi will take a bit to get the desired flavor.
How To Brew Reishi Tea
- Take Fresh Reishi Mushrooms and cut them into thin slices, use a good knife to ensure that you do not get a cut as the mushrooms are quite hard.
- Boil 4-5 cups of water in a vessel and add approximately 25-30 grams of fresh Reishi.
- Lower the flame and simmer for 2 hours.
- Now put the vessel aside to allow it to cool down.
- Strain the pieces from the water and serve the tea hot or cold.
How To Make Reishi Tea From Powder
To make reishi tea from powder, you need to take ¼ pound whole dried Reishi mushrooms, which are available at stores or from Taiwan, the recommended one as it never compromises with the ty of the product.
- Chop the dried mushrooms and grind them into a fine powder and put it aside in a muslin cloth securely.
- Boil 8 cups of water and drop in the Reishi bags.
- Lower the flame until the liquid is reduced to half.
- Drink 1 cup daily as it is good for your immune system.
How To Make Organic Reishi Pomegranate Tea
- Take 2 tablespoons or 10 pieces of dried Reishi mushrooms.
- A cup of 100% pomegranate juice.
- Dried star anise.
- About 1-inch fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced ( about 6 slices).
- Agave nectar about 2 tsp.
- About 10 Iced cubes.
- Fresh mint for garnish.
- To a vessel add Reishi, ginger, star anise and pomegranate juice.
- Boil it and then turn the flame slowly and simmer it for about 20 mins or until Reishi sinks at the bottom of the vessel.
- Remove the vessel from heat. Pour a glass by the strainer to discard solid ingredients.
- Take out the juice from the lemon and add it to the mixture. Also, add agave nectar to it.
- Slice the lemon’s other half. Add the slices in a glass. Mix well and adjust to taste.
- To it add ice to make it a full glass and let it refrigerate for 5 mins.
- Lastly, garnish it with mint and enjoy.!
How To Make Reishi Tea Taste Good
The other things which you can do to get rid of the bitter taste of Reishi tea and to make it’s taste good:
- Add a sweetener such as honey.
- Green Tea.
Reishi Tea is one of the drinks which is gaining popularity these days. For the people who keep their health a priority, it is a perfect choice to make.