Russia, which is one of the coldest countries in the world where the need for tea is considered to be very helpful in warming and satisfying the cold chilly days. Tea has served as an important beverage to Russian people and that they have made drinking tea a cultural thing to do. Even at the coldest place the Russian people also enjoy tea served cold.
Russian teas are not like the tea we used to have, well the tea is different and that it provides the best scent and with a sweet smoky flavor after a unique style of brewing the tea in a traditional metal container called a ‘samovar’. That is their specialty to withhold the strong aromatic tea that even when served cold it doesn’t disperse.
So let’s make the famous Russian cup of tea…
What is the recipe for Russian tea?
Russian tea recipe
We can make Russian tea in two ways, the traditional method, and the modern method. People nowadays are making tea using the modern way since the traditional method requires a special type of container during preparation. And since most people do not have this equipment, they tend to brew the tea using electric kettles. The tea brewed using an electric kettle requires some extra ingredients to match up with the traditional drink.
Traditional Russian method
To make the traditional Russian tea recipe from the 70s which is the so-called ‘Zavarka’ we need a specific container for brewing the tea, the ‘samovar’ which can be heated to boil water during preparation time.
- Black tea leaves (or some other herbal tea)
- Sugar or honey (optional)
- Fill the samovar with some water and bring it to a boil.
- In the teacup which sits on the top of the samovar add some tea leaves
- When the water starts simmering, add some of it into the teacup on its top to make the tea leaves concentrated.
- When the tea concentrates, the ’Zavarka’ is formed.
- Add some of the tea concentrates to a cup and fill it with hot water from the samovar.
- Allow the mixture to infuse to give out the smoky aroma.
- Add sweeteners (honey or sugar) if needed.
- Enjoy the tea hot or it can also be served cold with some light biscuits.
Unlike the previous method, this is simply the usual one as we used to while brewing our everyday tea. So, it won’t be that difficult to make Russian tea.
For making a 10 serving tea follow the steps mentioned below.
- ¼ cup of tea powder. (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon of orange flavor mix.
- 6 tablespoon of lemon flavor mix.
- 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- 1/8 teaspoon of cloves.
To make the concentrated tea,
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients with some water to make it concentrated.
- Mix well all the ingredients to let all produce a beautiful orange color.
- After mixing thoroughly, transfer the mixture into a tight container.
- The concentrated tea is all set.
To brew the tea,
- Boil a sufficient amount of water in an empty pot.
- In an empty cup, add the concentrated tea mixture as required.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the hot water to the cup of concentrated tea.
- The tea can be kept at rest to steep for a minute or two.
- Add sugar to adjust the tea. (Optional)
- Now, enjoy the tangy Russian tea hot.
Russian tea cakes
To enjoy the Russian tea, some specific snacks are served to enlighten the taste and flavor of the beverage. These snacks are called Russian tea cakes or in some places the Russian tea cookies. The Russian cake is some kind of pastry that appears to be white in color and spherical in shape. It is also known by many names throughout the world, such as snowball cookies, Mexican wedding cakes, butterballs, snowballs, and kourabiedes. So, the Russian cake is served throughout the world as a desert but with a different name.
Russian tea cake recipe
This family recipe for making the cake is also the same process as the Russian tea cookies recipe since having a different name can be quite a dilemma as to how is the Russian tea cookies recipe similar to the recipe of Russian tea cakes.
What is the best kitchen tool to use to mix Russian tea cookies recipe?
Generally, all the kitchen tools that we use to make any type of cake can be used. But I would consider using measurable equipment because that will help to make a perfect cake with detailing. Moreover, the following things are a must while making any cake or the Russian tea cake;
- Hand mixer
- Rubber and metal spatula
- Cake toothpicks
- Paring knife
- Bowls of different sizes
- Cake pans
- Measurable cups and tablespoons
These are the required things during the preparation of cakes and that which is required almost every time. So, make sure to have all the items to make a perfect cake.
- Vanilla extract
- Powdery white sugar
- 1 and ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- Chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, mix a teaspoon of butter and vanilla extract and stir it until it becomes smooth.
- In another medium-sized bowl, add 5 tablespoons of sugar and one cup of flour.
- Add the butter-vanilla extract smooth mixture into the medium-sized bowl of flour and sugar and stir it well.
- When the mixture is looking soft and smooth add the walnuts and mix with it.
- Make dough from the mixture.
- Now roll the dough into 1 inch balls and put them on the baking plate with a cookie sheet spread on it.
- Then bake the cookies or cakes for 10-15 minutes and take them out to let them cool down.
- When the baked cake has cooled down, sprinkle with some of the powdery sugar on top to give a delicate look.
Health benefits of Russian tea
As the tea can be brewed using black tea or green tea the health benefits vary widely and can be an incredible health gain in a cup of tea.
The tea is a wholesome tea that provides the following health benefits;
- Reduces the risk of heart disease, blood sugar, and weight gain.
- Acts an anti-inflammatory drink.
- An anti-oxidative.
- Can give an instant relief of stress and pain.
- Can also boost energy levels in the body.
Russian tea is no wonder that it is widely consumed as it has a delightful flavor that excites the day. And having the tea with its variety of cakes or cookies is much more pleasant than anything. The best thing about making this tea is that it can still be enjoyed without having the traditional utensils to obtain the delicate tangy and smoky flavor.